Chlorine is a chemical that is used extensively to kill microorganisms in water. This is cheap and it is used by many agencies to clean drinking water and in swimming pools. However, it is a non target specific chemical that kills our good bacterial as well if added to drinking water and therefore, it can compromise our health and immunity easily. Please remember that you are also an organism!
Chlorine is highly toxic and if exposed to skin for a certain period of time like in swimming pools or showers, it can be absorbed through the pores of skin and mixed with the fatty substances of skin turning into some form of plastic base toxin that can contaminate our body leading to many allergic reactions. In my opinion, it will affect the quality of fruits and vegetables when it is used in the water.
The drinking water that people use from their taps contains chlorine. Most people have no idea what is in their drinking water or their swimming pools.
Unfortunately for some people, they have a chlorine allergy that makes life a bit more difficult. Chlorine is abundant in nature so the water in the swimming pools and taps are just examples. Chlorine also is present in salt and bleaches. Although this chemical has many important uses, those with a chlorine allergy or toxic overload will have a hard time appreciating the benefits when they enter a pool that is maintained with chlorine. The vast majority of the swimming pools use chlorine for purification.
Chlorine in drinking water can have very serious side effects on those that drink this water. There is some evidence that this substance in the water could affect the life of a pregnant woman. The chlorine in the drinking water can lead to stillbirths and miscarriages. Some scientists believe that chlorine in the tap water could lead to colon and bladder cancer. Those with a chlorine allergy do not have to resign themselves to a life without swimming pools and water. There are alternative substances for pool maintenance. Those with a chlorine allergy will want to avoid any pools that do not have this alternative purification treatment. A chlorine allergy can be a problem, but it does not have to be an impediment to a great life.
The symptoms of chlorine sensitivity are similar to other allergic reactions. Some people are allergic to chlorine, but they may not know their allergy exists until they are exposed to the chemical. Allergic reaction to chlorine is a type four allergy, also known as a cell-mediated or delayed allergy. After being exposed to chlorine, one can tell he is allergic to it by watching for certain signs and symptoms.
Some of the symptoms of allergies to chlorine include:
Severe skin dryness after swimming or using clothing that have been washed with chlorine is a symptom of a chlorine allergy/sensitivity. This skin reaction is annoying and can lead to itching, pain and even peeling.
A rash similar to eczema where clothing washed in chlorine detergent touches your body is a very good indicator of a chlorine allergy. This type of rash tends to go away shortly after the article is removed and the area washed with soap and water. If the clothing stays on the area for a long period of time, the rash may become more pronounced, spread to other areas of the skin and begin to itch and burn.
Starting to cough whenever one comes in contact with chlorine by smell or touch is a sign of an allergic reaction. This symptom needs to be consistent before assuming one has an allergy; in other words, if one does not always start coughing after coming into contact with chlorine, he may just have a sensitivity instead of a true allergy.
This symptom is most common after breathing in chlorine fumes, including being around pools treated with it and being exposed to household chemicals containing chlorine. If one consistently has fits of sneezing after being around chlorine, it is possible she is allergic to it.
Stuffed or Itchy Nose
If a person’s nose becomes itchy or stuffed up after smelling chlorine fumes (such as after opening a bottle of chlorine bleach) or after coming in contact with chlorine (such as when swimming in a pool treated with it), chlorine allergy is a possible cause. However, if the chlorine was ingested in a pool through accidentally breathing in or swallowing water, the person likely has swimmer’s sinusitis as opposed to an allergy.
Chlorine is an irritant in general, but if you experience severe itching after swimming or being exposed to chlorine then you are more than likely one of the people who suffer from a chlorine sensitivity or allergy. Showering immediately will help remove the chlorine from your skin and hopefully reduce your reaction. All of these symptoms can be caused by exposure to or ingestion of chlorine. If you experience them you should visit your doctor to see what types of treatment are available for your allergy.
Many people experience a little eye irritation after swimming in a chlorinated pool, but a person who is allergic/ sensitive to chlorine will suffer more severe irritation in the form of swelling, itching, burning, and redness. Swollen eyes that itch and burn should be cleaned as soon as possible and cold compresses applied.
Respiratory problems similar to an asthma attack can occur when a chlorine-sensitive person is exposed to large amounts of chlorine, such as at an indoor swimming pool. These symptoms are increased in enclosed areas where the person is continually breathing in the chlorine fumes; it can cause tightness of the chest, shallow breathing and the frightening feeling of not being able to get enough air.